Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Bartlett opposes HB1006

Tomorrow, January 24, 2012, Indiana House Bill 1006 is going to vote.
Today I got an emailed response from Rep. John Bartlett, House District 95. If you watched the debate, you heard from Rep. Bartlett several times as he expressed his concerns. 
Whereas everyone else sent me an automated "thanks for being a constituent" email, I actually got a - slightly less automated - response from him.






Hello Friends,

Thank you for contacting me with your opinion on HB 1006. I have received over 1,000! messages about this piece of legislation. I have read stories of single parents who struggled through school to become successful business-owners, healthcare professionals who have gone through years of professional training, and members of the public concerned about public well-being. I have heard from cosmetologists, barbers, dieticians, hearing aid dealers, private investigators, and more. Every single person has urged me to vote against this bill.

I agree with many of the points made by those who have contacted me. HB 1006 would damage the livelihood of many middle-class Hoosiers and endanger the safety of all Indiana residents. Cosmetologists use dangerous chemicals, hearing aid dealers work by sensitive portions of the ear, PIs can carry guns -- the reasons to oppose deregulation go on and on. I am strongly opposed to this bill and will be voting against it during committee and on the floor.

I was happy to see the overwhelming public participation this past Friday. I love to see my fellow Hoosiers involved in the legislative process. It is constitutents like you, who take the time to contact legislators or come to the Statehouse in person, that drive our system of government and help make us great. I hope to see more of you at the Statehouse on Tuesday, January 24, at 8:30 a.m., when the Labor committee will be voting on amendments for HB 1006. Please come and let Rep. Wolkins, the author of HB 1006, know how strongly the public is opposed to this bill. If you haven't done so already, please contact Rep. Wolkins' office at h18@in.gov or 800-382-9841.

-Rep. John Bartlett, House District 95







Indiana cosmetologists are not out of the woods yet. We're literally fighting for our lives here. House Bill 1006 will kill our industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment